There is no denying it, Christmas is a hectic time of year. Even though 2020 may look a little different with fewer social gatherings, the month of December always seems to disappear in a flurry of gift wrapping and house decorating. At the same time, it’s often when we find ourselves actually wanting to spend some time in the kitchen, experimenting with different festive treats. That’s why these Brown Butter, Cinnamon Rice Krispie Squares are perfect –they are seriously easy, incredibly gooey and delicious, and have a festive flare that makes them irresistible at this time of year!
Note: This post contains some affiliate links. This means that we may earn a small commission when you click on such links, at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases. We only share links to products we would use ourselves and all opinions are our own. You can read the full disclaimer here.
From the nuttiness of the brown butter to the subtle heat of cinnamon, these Brown Butter, Cinnamon Rice Krispie Squares truly taste like Christmas! And whether you decide to serve them alongside your morning tea or coffee, after dinner as a little indulgent treat, or even as part of a gift, we can promise you that they will not disappoint.
What’s more, they’re the perfect recipe for little hands to help out. Whether it be because you have a budding chef on your hands, or a rainy December afternoon where outside entertainment is just not an option, kids will love the opportunity to be involved in every aspect of the recipe, especially the Christmas sprinkle part (let’s be honest, big kids like that part too!)!
There’s one more thing that truly makes these Rice Krispie Squares the perfect treat for this time of year…they can be made ahead! Yes, that’s right, even though they require minimal effort to whip up, these will keep beautifully in an airtight container for up to a week ensuring that you always have something delicious on hand for whenever it might be needed. Although, we really doubt they’ll last that long…these barely made it out of the Jolly Festive testing kitchen. They really are just that good!
- 175g Rice Krispies
- 340g White Marshmallows
- 115g Unsalted Butter
- 1tsp Cinnamon
- 200g White Chocolate Chips
- 1.5 tbsp Coconut Oil
- Christmas Sprinkles
- Line an 8×8 cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Warm a large pan over medium heat and add the butter to brown. The butter will foam and sizzle as it melts and brown specks will begin to appear on the bottom of the pan.
- When the bottom of the pan is a gorgeous toasty brown and there is a nutty aroma to the butter, add the marshmallows and remove from the heat.
- Slowly stir in the marshmallows allowing them to melt completely in the heat of the butter.
- In a large bowl, combine the Rice Krispies and cinnamon. Pour the butter and marshmallow mixture into the bowl and stir to ensure all of the cereal mix is evenly coated.
- Gently press the mixture into the lined pan – we recommend using a piece of greaseproof paper to help push the mixture in and prevent it from sticking to your hands or a spatula!
- Allow to cool at room temperature for 1-2 hours until firm. Once cool cut into 12 squares.
- Slowly melt the white chocolate and coconut oil together.
- Using a piece of greaseproof paper to prevent your hands sticking to the squares, gently dip each one into the white chocolate and allow excess chocolate to drip off.
- Place the squares on a sheet of greaseproof paper and add sprinkles!
- If you can wait, allow them to set, and then enjoy!
For more ideas of festive sweets and treats to enjoy over the Christmas season, click here. And if you’re looking for other ideas of edible gifts to share with your friends and family, check out our full selection.