The classic no bake dessert – it doesn’t get easier than a rocky road and, in true Jolly Festive style, we’ve given this treat a make-over for the season. Digestives have been replaced with ginger nuts to add some festive warmth; glacé cherries take the place of raisins to ensure a ruby red glow; and we’ve added in some pistachios for crunch, not to mention their gorgeous green colour! Add the perfectly white marshmallows and a snowy dusting of icing sugar, and these festive rocky road bars are born!
While we love the combination of flavours and textures that this recipe creates, the truth is that rocky road bars lend themselves to adaption and you can feel free to swap out the ingredients based on your, and your family’s preferences.
If you’re not a fan of ginger nuts then feel free to stick with digestives or even a rich tea biscuit. And, if glacé cherries aren’t your style then raisins, currents or even candied ginger would work perfectly here.
The only thing we recommend is sticking to the mix between milk and dark chocolate as it provides a gorgeous richness which is neither too bitter nor too sweet.
So add these ingredients to your next online order – delicious festive rocky road bars are just a few simple steps away!
- 200g dark chocolate
- 200g milk chocolate
- 60g golden syrup
- 170g unsalted butter
- 200g Ginger Nut biscuits
- 80g shelled, raw pistachios
- 120g red glace cherries (halved)
- 140g mini marshmallows
- icing sugar (for dusting)
- Line a 9×9” pan with greaseproof paper and set aside.
- Add the butter and golden syrup to a saucepan and melt over a gentle heat. Once melted, remove from the heat and add both chocolates, stirring to melt. Make sure you do this step off the heat in order to prevent the chocolate from seizing.
- Place the ginger nut biscuits into a ziplock bag and seal. Using a rolling pin to help, crush the biscuits until you have some large pieces and some biscuit rubble!
- Place the crushed biscuits into a large bowl and add the glace cherries, pistachios and mini marshmallows.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the dry ingredients and stir to ensure everything is coated.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and use a spatula to smooth down as much as possible –the top will be rocky!!
- Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- Remove and cut into squares. Dust with a healthy dose of icing sugar!
Adapted from this recipe.