Nothing screams the festive season more than snuggling up on the sofa with a blanket and sipping on a steaming cup of hot chocolate. It’s a seasonal treat best shared, and The Hot Chocolate Gift Mug would make an ideal present for anyone you’d like to share it with!
Note: This post contains some affiliate links. This means that we may earn a small commission when you click on such links, at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases. We only share links to products we would use ourselves and all opinions are our own. You can read the full disclaimer here.
Let’s be honest, hot chocolate or hot cocoa is a tried and tested firm favourite throughout winter but can feel especially necessary during those long dark December nights. Whether you’re trying to warm up the family after a day out, or treat yourself following an evening of online Christmas shopping or gift wrapping, hot chocolate is an indulgence that the whole family can enjoy.
That being said, many of us rarely take the time to make a real cup of hot cocoa where shards of creamy, rich chocolate are melted into steaming milk to create a drink so indulgent it can only be paired with this wonderful time of year!
We at Jolly Festive believe that hot chocolate (and all its trimmings) lends itself beautifully to a gift for a loved one; enter The Hot Chocolate Gift Mug!
The best part about this gift is that not only is it relatively affordable, it’s also easy and extremely thoughtful; a homemade touch is always the most meaningful in our opinion!
This gift is perfect for anyone in your circle who loves a delicious cup of hot chocolate – your Mum, your best friend, your boss and almost anyone in between! Fabulous as a treat just on its own or we have a whole host of suggestions for ways you can embellish your gift to make it as generous and decadent as you desire.
Here’s what’s in our mug!
These are our Must-Haves for The Hot Chocolate Gift Mug:
- A Hot Chocolate Mug! Almost the most important part, second to the hot chocolate mix itself. We recommend using a large mug so you can fill it with a generous amount of mix, and your loved one will have plenty of space for a lovely big serving with plenty of delicious toppings! Have a look at some of our favourite mugs below:
- Hot Chocolate Mix! You can of course buy a ready prepared hot cocoa powder such as this luxury mix from Hotel Chocolat. Or why not make your own? Check out our quick and easy recipe for Jolly Festive’s Indulgent Hot Chocolate Mix below!
- Marshmallows! Store bought marshmallows are an easy way to go and there are so many varieties available, especially at this time of year. Try jumbo, mini or even some festive themed; take a look at these gingerbread flavoured ones from The Marshmallowist.
- Sprinkles! For that truly luxurious festive hot chocolate, there has to be a light dusting of sprinkles on top. Chocolate sprinkles or cocoa powder are the traditional toppings of choice but you could add another nod to the season, with Christmas sprinkles or crushed candy cane instead.
- Christmas Tree Decoration! At Jolly Festive, we feel that you can never have enough Christmas tree ornaments. Including a small one here adds an additional Christmassy touch to this thoughtful gift.
- Recipe card! As a final flourish, attach a decorative recipe card to let your recipient know how to make the perfect cup of hot chocolate! Why not use our Jolly Festive recipe card below – simply print out and cut to size.
Jolly Festive’s Hot Chocolate Mix
- 1tbsp cup cocoa powder
- 3tbsp grated milk chocolate
- 1tbsp grated dark chocolate
Combine well & store in a cool place.
Assembling your Gift Mug
- Place the cocoa mix inside a small cellophane gift bag, top with the marshmallows and sprinkles and seal tightly. These festive cone bags from Amazon would be perfect or you could try these Ginger Ray gold spot bags from Hobbycraft.
- String the recipe card and Christmas tree decoration onto a long piece of festive ribbon, and tie it around the top of the gift bag.
- Pop the gift bag of cocoa mix inside the mug and ta-da! – you are all done!
Want to take your Hot Chocolate Gift Mug to the next Level?
Here are some other ideas of things that you could add to The Hot Chocolate Gift Mug to really step it up a notch!
- Hot chocolate stencil. Sophia Victoria Joy’s brilliant festive drink stencils will add the perfect finishing touch to anyone’s hot cocoa design.
- Hot chocolate cook book. For the true hot cocoa fan, this world tour of hot chocolate by Hannah Miles or 120 hot chocolate recipes by Bonnie Scott will really whet the appetite!
- Seasonal hot water bottle. We love this knitted reindeer design from Amazon and fun antler cover from Sparks & Daughters at NotOnTheHighStreet. Perfect for the complete winter snuggle!
- Winter blanket. Who wouldn’t want to cosy up with this fairisle fleece blanket at Amazon or this gorgeous snowflake design from Marks & Spencer?
- Festive candle. This Christmas cookie candle from Next seems a fitting addition to a hot chocolate gift mug, or this cute hanging votive from The White Company.
- For a bit of seasonal fun. These caribou cocoa buddies from Uncommon Goods will really add a little seasonal silliness to your gift.
What other flourishes would you add to your Hot Chocolate Gift Mug? We’d love to hear your ideas and see photos of your gift mugs.