Yes, we know, this is a bit of a cheesy recipe (pardon the pun 😉 )! However, this is really the only time of year that you can get away with moulding your food into characters, especially if you don’t have children! And while it may look whimsical and perhaps better suited to a 7-year-old’s birthday party, we can guarantee that this snowman packs a delicious punch, making those of all ages come back for more! So, let your inner cheesiness out and give this Snowman Cheeseball a go –we promise you won’t regret it!
Now, we don’t necessarily want to get a reputation for saying this, but this truly is an incredibly simple recipe that looks like you’ve put in far more effort than you really have – what could be better?! It can be whipped up in less than 30 minutes, is best made ahead of time (ideally at least one day before) and will last for up to a week in the refrigerator, giving you plenty of opportunity to work on the rest of your festive to-do list.
Add some delicious crackers, fresh fruit and maybe even some nuts and you’ve got a starter or dare we even say it, a main course, on your hands… all you need is a glass of wine and you have the perfect winter evening! Or, place your Snowman Cheeseball in the middle of your buffet table to create a centrepiece that will grab everyone’s attention!
Let’s Talk Texture!
While there is no denying that the cheese is rich and creamy, it’s offset by the crunch of pecans and the subtle heat of the onion; pile that onto a cracker and it is texture heaven!
What’s more, this Snowman Cheeseball is a family recipe which has been handed down from generation to generation. There’s something so comforting about returning to firm family favorites, especially around this time of year –so nostalgic and familiar it can’t help but make you feel at ease. Who knows, maybe this will become a regular fixture at your holiday Christmas table for years to come.
- 4tbsp finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 45g finely chopped pecans
- 140g mild, hard blue cheese (Danish Blue works particularly well)
- 400g cream cheese
- 180g cheddar spread
- ½ tsp grated brown onion
- ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 300g mozzarella, grated
- Whole cloves to decorate
- Carrot, small piece, to decorate
- In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese, blue cheese and cheddar spread. Beat the cheeses with an electric mixer and then add in the pecans, parsley, onion, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Mix until combined, scraping down the sides as you go.
- Divide the mixture into 1/3 and 2/3. Take each portion out of the bowl and place on a sheet of pre-prepared cling film. Wrap in the cling film and, once wrapped, use the cling film to help you shape the portions. One should be shaped into a ball (the head), and the other into a more oval shape (the body). Place in the refrigerator overnight.
- Once the cheese portions have set, remove from the refrigerator and allow to warm up just slightly so that they are sticky enough for the mozzarella coating to take hold.
- Place the grated mozzarella on a large plate. Gently remove each cheese portion from the cling film and roll in the mozzarella to coat.
- Gently place the “head” on top of the “body”, and use cloves and a small piece of carrot to decorate.
- Garnish your Snowman Cheeseball with fruit and crackers, and dig in!
Share your Snowman Cheeseball photos with us – we’d love to see how you enjoy yours!
For more ideas of festive dishes to enjoy over the Christmas season, click here.