Pigs in blankets meet the all-time picnic classic in these Christmas sausage rolls, perfect to accompany any festive tipple!
behind the scenes
Did someone say Christmas sausage rolls?!
Ah sausage rolls, no soggy British picnic would be complete without them. But let’s be clear, we happily dig into a sausage roll at any time of year!
Therefore, in true Jolly Festive style we decided to give the ol’ sausage roll a festive spin, adding in the flavours of that Christmas dinner favourite…pigs in blankets. And so, let us introduce you to our Christmas sausage rolls!
While for reasons that only our Mum knows, pigs in blankets were never really a component of our Christmas dinner as children. But don’t you worry, as adults Hannah and I have well and truly made up for lost time.
Delicious sausage meat wrapped in crispy bacon –what could be better?! Well, these Christmas sausage rolls might just be.
Looking for more Christmas food inspiration? Click here to see our other recipes.
Sausage roll dreams do come true!
They are born out of the marriage of two of our favourite savoury treats –I mean, you’re essentially eating a pig in a blanket wrapped in duvet of pastry…hello deliciousness!
And if you’re starting to worry that this recipe might be a little more complex that you’re after at this time of year then do not fear. These Christmas sausage rolls can be ready in an hour and make the perfect accompaniment to Christmas Eve drinks!
In terms of sausage meat, we really like to use a traditional pork here and then add in our own seasonings. But honestly, this Christmas sausage roll recipe would work with pretty much any sausage flavour combination, it really is that good!
Just remember to check out the tip section at the bottom of the recipe for quick directions on what to do if you’re using meat from sausages rather than separately packaged sausage meat.
In terms of prep, these Christmas sausage rolls can absolutely be made in advance and kept in the refrigerator for a day or two. But seriously, there is nothing better than one warm from the oven…the only hard part about this festive sausage roll recipe is waiting for them to cool!
And…if you’re the type of person that believes in ‘practice makes perfect’ then we won’t judge you if you want to start practicing these Christmas sausage rolls now…just to make sure you’re ready for the season of course 😉
Looking for more festive food & drink inspiration? We’ve got everything from sweet treats and main events to delicious tipples and edible gifts guaranteed to wow your family & friends.
Christmas Sausage Rolls
- 250 g puff pastry thawed if frozen
- 450 g sausage meat
- 2-3 rashers streaky bacon
- 1 medium egg beaten
- 1 tsp sage dried
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 200C and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sausage meat, sage, salt and pepper. Combine to ensure the seasoning is evenly distributed; using your hands is often the easiest way. Set aside.
- Cut the streaky bacon into 1.5-2” strips and set aside.
- Roll out the puff pastry to a rectangle approximately 30cm x 20cm and ensure that the long edge is facing you; cut the rectangle in half long-ways so that you have two long strips of pastry.
- Divide the sausage mixture in half. Take one of the halves and shape it into a long log, the length of the pastry strip. Place it down the middle of the pastry strip.
- Repeat with the other half of the sausage meat and other piece of pastry.
- Gently lay the bacon pieces over the top of the sausage meat.
- Brush the beaten egg around the edges of the pastry to help it stick when you roll it; repeat with both pieces.
- Carefully roll the pastry over the top of the sausage and bacon so that the seal is underneath; repeat with both.
- Divide each long roll into 6 and place the sausage rolls onto the baking tray. Brush with the remaining beaten egg.
- Place into the oven for 30-35mins until puffed up and golden brown.
- Dive in and enjoy!
- If using meat from pre-made sausages, gently make a slit down the length of the sausage, just enough to cut through the casing.
- Gently pull the casing back and squeeze the sausage meat out.
The moment you’ve all been waiting for, Jolly Festive’s 2022 Christmas Biscuit Box has arrived and there’s something delicious for everyone!
25 Elf Breakfast Ideas: a round-up of our favourite festive foods to serve at your North Pole Elf Breakfast.
This strawberry & banana candy cane is a fun easy Christmas fruit board, perfect for kids’ Christmas parties & a North Pole Breakfast.
Keep Up To Date With Our Latest Recipes!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and we'll keep you posted when new recipes are published.
You'll also get access to our complete Resource Library with heaps of festive inspiration and ideas to keep you having fun all the way to the Big Day itself!