This may not be a traditional peppermint bark recipe but it’s the perfect balance of salty and sweet and takes less than 30 minutes!
30 mins + chilling
behind the scenes
Peppermint bark, the ultimate Christmas treat!
Peppermint bark is one of those festive treats that never fails to hit the spot. Given that it’s made up of two of Christmas’ primary food groups (chocolate and candy canes!!) it’s not really a surprise that people will happily munch away on it from November through until January!!
Plus, it’s one of those clever Christmas recipes that can be made in a flash and makes everyone think that you’re a domestic god or goddess!
Sold yet?! We haven’t even told you about how we decided to put a Jolly Festive spin on this peppermint bark recipe!
Looking for more Christmas food inspiration? Click here to see our other recipes.
The first time I heard about this type of recipe (salty cracker topped with caramel and chocolate), I was at a Thanksgiving celebration with friends. One guest brought it along to be part of the dessert table and everyone was very excited. I couldn’t quite understand what the fuss was about until I tried a bite…I’ve never looked back!
Salty cracker? Check. Rich caramel? Check. Creamy dark chocolate? Check. I mean what was I doubting this trio of flavours and textures for? It’s a culinary hat trick. But then…top it with crushed up candy canes and you have a new take on a peppermint bark recipe!
Gift Ideas for the Host/Hostess!
We’ve rounded up our favourite gift ideas for the host/hostess so you’ll never have to worry about arriving empty handed!
Now, do not be scared by the caramel …it’s really very easy. We’re not messing around with a sugar thermometer either (we hardly have time for that during the rest of the year, let alone around Christmas!) you just want to make sure you allow it to boil until it turns a gorgeously dark golden colour.
In terms of the chocolate, we really do recommend sticking with a darker version here. The sweetness in this peppermint bark recipe comes from the caramel, not to mention the pure sugar candy canes which top it.
That dark chocolate is really needed to help balance the flavours in this perfect bite and ensure you keep coming back for more!
Take a ‘crack’ at this peppermint bark!
And when it comes to the crackers, we suggest you stick with Tuc original, not the cheesey kind! While we’re sure this peppermint bark would taste delicious even with the addition of a little cheesiness, we can’t say we’ve recipe tested it for you!!
Oh, and if you’re looking for an edible gift idea, or something to take along to a potluck Christmas party then please do not overlook this peppermint bark recipe. It may not sound like much but it is truly one of the best festive treats around!
↑ Check Out Your Printable Labels Here ↑
Looking for more festive food & drink inspiration? We’ve got everything from sweet treats and main events to delicious tipples and edible gifts guaranteed to wow your family & friends.
Jolly Festive's Peppermint Bark
- 200 g butter unsalted
- 200 g brown sugar
- 340 g dark chocolate chips
- 150 g Tuc snack crackers one sleeve
- 4-5 candy canes crushed
- Place the candy canes in a Ziplock bag and gently crush using a rolling pin. We recommend a mixture of large and small pieces. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200C and line a rimmed baking tray with tin foil, ensuring the edges are lined as well. Lightly grease the foil.
- Place the Tuc crackers side by side on the lined baking tray, ensuring that the whole tray is covered in crackers. Set aside.
- Place the butter and sugar in a medium pan and bring to a boil over a medium heat, stirring intermittently. Once boiling, allow it to continue cooking for a further 3-5 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Pour the caramel-y mixture evenly over the crackers and place the baking tray in the oven for 5minutes until the caramel is bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and immediately top with the chocolate chips. Allow the chocolate chips to sit on top of the hot caramel-y mixture for 5 minutes so that they start to melt. Spread the melted chocolate over the top in an even layer.
- Top with the crushed candy canes and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Once at room temperature, place in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours to fully harden. Cut into pieces and enjoy!
2022 Christmas Biscuit Box
The moment you’ve all been waiting for, Jolly Festive’s 2022 Christmas Biscuit Box has arrived and there’s something delicious for everyone!
25 Fun Food Elf Breakfast Ideas
25 Elf Breakfast Ideas: a round-up of our favourite festive foods to serve at your North Pole Elf Breakfast.
Strawberry & Banana Candy Cane
This strawberry & banana candy cane is a fun easy Christmas fruit board, perfect for kids’ Christmas parties & a North Pole Breakfast.
Keep Up To Date With Our Latest Recipes!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and we'll keep you posted when new recipes are published.
You'll also get access to our complete Resource Library with heaps of festive inspiration and ideas to keep you having fun all the way to the Big Day itself!